Search This Blog

Contact The Manifesto: Inside the Mind of an Idiot...


Email: Manifesto.Idiot@gmail.com

Twitter: @MKriegbaumJr

NEW!!! You can now get the Manifesto right on your phone! Check out the new mobile app! All you have to do is open it the link below in your mobile browser and add it to your home page!

http://InsideTheMindOfAnIdiot.mobapp.at/


Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Calling all assholes suggestion piece: Food review

          So it was suggested that I try a food review in my Calling All Assholes campaign. I love to eat, so this naturally seems like a great idea. Thank you Danielle (you know who you are) for suggesting it. Not only is this a great idea because it gives me an excuse to try a place I have been eying up for a few weeks now, but I figure it is an opportunity for me to show some range by critiquing something in a positive light for a change.

          Let me be clear here, I had every intention of writing a positive review. I had been scoping out the menu of a certain place on the internet for a few weeks and was really looking forward to trying the burgers. I can and do deal with shitty service for a good meal so that was never a concern... I am not here to write a review on the service, nor would that affect my review. Only one thing could stop me from writing a good review, and that is bad food. Unfortunately, my excitement was replaced with disappointment once I had my meal at the destination of choice.  
          For some reason, I have developed a conscience while deciding to write this piece. The place I selected to have my lunch and do the review on is fairly new. I actually contemplated not doing this piece due to the fact that I knew it would not be a good review. This business is someones livelihood, how they feed their family and I do not want to do anything to hurt a new business venture here in Buffalo. I actually do feel bad writing a crucifixion versus a good review. With this in mind, I am going to go ahead an write the review because it was a reader suggestion, but I am going to leave the name of the "Food Service" anonymous. Not sure if I can be critical without being a dick, but here goes nothing.
          I had plans to have lunch with a co-worker at this food stand, she was equally excited as I was to try the burger and some sweet potato fries as she had been checking out this place's website as well. Another comrade from the office had gone to lunch prior to us and had gone to the same venue that we were going to. We had passed her on the way out and asked if we were still going 'there', we said that we were, and she mentioned that the Beef on Weck sandwich was just "OK" and the meat tasted like any roast beef that you would get from a deli. No problem there... I was on a mission for a burger.
          Upon arrival, there was a line but nothing absurd, I was expecting worse with the Bar Exam taking place. The menu was hand written, with the menu items of the day scribed on the dry erase board. Rumor had it that the menu can change on a daily basis. "Fuck" I said to my co-worker, "No burger on the menu today!" This left both of us scrambling for what to order since we both had our hearts on having a burger for lunch. The menu was kind of limited as it offered a chicken sandwich (I was having chicken for dinner so this was ruled out), chicken wings (potentially messy when you wear a shirt and tie to work), the beef on weck sandwich (not happening due to co-worker review) and a fried bologna sandwich which is what I had opted to order along with an order of sweet potato fries what were drizzled with honey and butter. The website advertised drinks for $2 apiece, but the hand written menu had them listed at $3. I felt like I was at a professional sporting event paying that much for a bottle of water. Was this inflation due to the close proximity of the Bar Exam taking place? If so, this is on a smaller scale reminiscent to the price gouging on parking that was taking place during the IIHF World Jr Championships this past January.
          I was already a little disappointed that I was not having the burger I craved, but this did not leave me with a preconceived notion that I was going to be dissatisfied with the meal no matter what was served. I was ready to eat and was looking forward to trying my lunch selection. First thing, the staff was friendly, no doubt about that. The food did take a bit of time to get out to us which I thought was odd due to the smaller crowd and simplicity of the meal.
          Once we did get our meal, the real disappointment began. The first thing I tried was the sweet potato fries. The portion was somewhat on the smaller side. Now let me see if I can word this so it makes sense. The fries them-self were burnt on the outside, but still somewhat raw on the inside. I am no chef, but this leads me to believe that they were fresh cut, but not blanched or not blanched well enough prior to frying them for the order. I believe that they were fresh cut fries, not packed of frozen which is a plus, but I can be wrong.
          Dealing with the let down of the fries, I got into my friend bologna sandwich. It was advertised that it was topped with fried onions and mustard... I had asked them to add their specialty "sauce" (If I said what the sauce is, I might give away the location... Sorry). The first thing that I notice was that the the bun was just falling apart in my hand upon picking the sandwich up. Sounds like day or two old buns... they definitely were not fresh. I was frustrated eating the sandwich because it was hard to handle with it just falling apart in my hands. The Bologna itself tasted fine, but it is kind of hard to fuck up since you just throw it on the griddle for a bit. The special sauce that they promote which I had asked them to put on the sandwich was tasty which was a plus.
          Overall the whole lunch experience was a disappointment. There is an old saying about first impressions, and this one was definitely memorable for all of the wrong reasons. I am not sure if I will be going back to this venue... I guess I can never rule it out, but it will not be one of my first options. Maybe I'll swing by another time to see if it has improved. That is a big maybe.

2 comments:

M. said...

Update! I saw another review of this place and it explained why the burgers were not being served on this day... Still no excuse for the crap lunch I was served.

M.

M. said...

Update #2... I was informed that you cant blanch sweet potatoes. But that does not take away the fact that they were burnt.